You are looking for a smart lock and the common assumption is you are looking for a smart lock deadbolt. But there are many people who prefer door handle or lever instead of a deadbolt
To sort out the confusion, we have reviewed the best smart door locks with handle. Here are the reviews of each smart lock that will help you to choose the best one for you.
Kwikset SmartCode with Tustin Lever
- ZigBee/Z-Wave Plus Wireless Technology
- Requires ZigBee Compatible Hub.
- One Side Key
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, and Vera.
- Auto relock.
- SmartKey feature allows any KW1 Keyway key.
- 30 Access Codes.
- Low Battery LED Status.
The SmartCode smart lock is available in two technologies Z-Wave and ZigBee. Z-Wave Plus model has been officially discontinued by Kwikset but it is available on Amazon with some sellers.
It is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, and Wink but you will have to buy an additional Z-Wave Plus/ZigBee compatible hub to connect wirelessly through the mobile app.
The smart lock looks elegant with its Tustin lever and is available in three finishes. It is ideal for interior doors like a storage room, office doors, or interior garage rooms.
It has an auto-relock feature that locks after 30-secs of unlocking. It also features Kwikset SmartKey and low battery status led indicator. The smart key comes with bump protection.
Kwikset SmartKey Feature: How to Re-key Your Lock
- Insert the new key you want to use with the lock.
- Your new key can be rekeyed if it fully inserts in the keyhole.
- Keep your door open and lever in a locked position to safeguard the door closing on its own.
- Insert the current key and rotate 90-degree clockwise.
- Insert the smart key tool firmly into the smart keyhole.
- You will feel the click on the tool when inside the lock.
- Remove the smart key tool.
- Remove the current key “without rotating”.
- Insert the new key fully now.
- Rotate the key 180-degrees anti-clockwise without pulling it out.
- Now rotate the key 90-degrees clockwise.
- Remove your key and test it by re-inserting.
- Test the old key, make sure it is not functional and does not lock or unlock the door.
- If the old key is still functional. There is an issue with the lock. Call Kwikset customer care.
Yale Assure Lever (YRL-216/YRL-256)
- Z-Wave technology but requires an additional Z-Wave compatible hub.
- Compatible with Samsung SmartThings, Ring Alarm, Wink, ADT, Alarm, Qolsys, Honeywell, etc.
- Available with touchscreen(YRL-256) and keypad(YRL-216)
- Auto-ReLock Feature.
- Available in attractive three finishes.
Yale Assure Smart Lock with Lever is available with touchscreen and keypad options. It comes with the key and key-free options so that you can use it as a standard lever lock or a smart lock. The smart lock can be integrated with any Z-Wave Plus hub or Yale Smart Module to work with your smart home from anywhere.
The base model is priced under $150 and is supported by keypad to open it using the access code. The pricing for Z-Wave Plus and August deadbolt supported models can go up additionally by $50-$100.
It comes with dead-battery protection so that you are never locked out in an emergency. It has 2 physicals keys and a 9V backup charger on the keypad.
It has a backlit screen activated by pressing the Yale logo on the lock. The touchscreen model has an additional voice guidance feature for programming.
Samsung Biometric Fingerprint Digital Door Lock with Handle (SHS-H700)
- Auto-Slide cover for the touchpad.
- Interface re-designed for the US version.
- 100 fingerprints and 1 Access code.
- Perfect for indoor use.
- 5 emergency keys.
- Away Mode if you are leaving home.
- Silent Mode.
- Low battery alarm with an option to open the door with a 9V external battery.
- Bump protection by disabling authentication for 3 minutes.
Samsung SHS-H700 is our top recommendation for customers looking for fingerprint digital lock for indoor usage. It lacks the smart home features or any integrations options with a smart home hub. But it is a good option for someone who is more aligned with an extra layer of security. With a touch of a finger, the door unlocks and many customers have dropped the idea of smart lock as smart features were not a priority but “good to have” features.
It may be a little difficult to install and you may require a professional to do the needful.
Lockly Secure Plus with FingerPrint Smart Lock with Latch (PGD628F)
- Patented PIN Genie® Technology for a unique keypad display every time.
- 3D Fingerprint Sensor for better accuracy and speed.
- Supports both iOS and Android.
- Bluetooth enabled with AES256 Encryption.
- Offline Access Code™ feature to give access without the internet.
- 8 Access Codes + temporary eKeys for one-time access.
- Upgradeable for WiFi connectivity with Secure Link WiFi Hub (Secure Pro).
- Lock and Unlock the door from anywhere.
- Perfect for Airbnb.
- 2-year warranty.
Lockly Secure Plus is one of our favorites on our list. It has a unique feature that changes the display with keypad by changing the position of numbers. It comes with a speedy fingerprint reader and is equipped with BlueTooth to lock and unlock from anywhere.
The WiFi option is available at an extra cost that has Secure Link Hub bundled with the upgraded model.
The additional 3D fingerprint feature to unlock the door is another highlight of the smart lock.
It is a viable option for a property manager or Airbnb usage. You can send one-time eKeys to unlock the door. The smartphone app helps to lock and unlock the door from anywhere with alerts and logs.
The battery lasts around 10 months which is more than other brands. It is also supported by a battery backup.
Keypad access control gets disabled for 1 hour if there are multiple failed attempts. It has DND or do not disturb feature that allows access only to authorized users.
It is easy to install and may take 10-15mins to complete the installation process.
Ultraloq Lever: Ultimate 4 in 1 Smart Door Handle with Fingerprint
- True keyless and phoneless entry.
- Fast fingerprint recognition.
- Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity (via bridge).
- Random digit protection to your passcodes.
- Unlock from the smartphone app and Apple Watch.
- Backup physical key.
- Backup external battery through micro-USB.
- Two-Layer protection using secure 128-bit AES and a Dynamic Key.
- Share EKeys for limited access.
- Supports Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT through Ultraloq Bridge (additional).
- Easy DIY installation.
- Easy voice-guided programming process.
- Low battery consumption.
- Perfect for Airbnb and renters.
Ultraloq lever is a worthy upgrade from already popular Ultraloq UL3 BT (Bluetooth). UL3 was equipped with Bluetooth but lacked some key smart home features like remote access and smart home integrations with Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.
Ultraloq Lever along Ultralog bridge connects to your smartphone via Wifi. You can lock and unlock the door remotely through a smartphone U-tec app. You can also check entry/exit logs and get smart in-app notifications.
User capacity has been reduced to 60 from 200 (UL3 BT) but seems sufficient for most homes.
The external side is weather-proof so make sure you don’t install on the outer gate where both sides are exposed to extreme weather.
Also, note that each lock requires one bridge. Multiple locks will need a dedicated Wifi bridge. It works on three alkaline batteries and dedicated micro-USB for backup external battery options. The battery power provides access up to 8000 times which is enough to last for 10-12 months.
Limited access can be provided through fingerprint, access code, or ekeys. Set the date and time for accessibility for each user.
Another useful feature is the red passage button that keeps the door unlocked when pressed. It is quite handy in a situation when we have people over.
Ultraloq Installation Guide
Installation is easy that requires only four screws and no wiring/drilling. It took us 12mins to install this smart lock with handle. It is a perfect fit for any standard US door.
Here is a quick video of the installation.
Buying Considerations/Guide for Smart Door Lock with Handle
With multiple options in every smart home product, it may be difficult to choose the right product that matches your requirement. There are many smart locks available with an average price of $200 but smart locks with handle or lever are limited.
Here are some key features you need to look while buying your smart door lock with handle.
Integrations with Smart Home
Our home is equipped or will be equipped with many smart electronics. Every smart gadget you buy should seamlessly integrate with other smart products.
A standalone smart lock will have limited capability. Your smart lock should be able to work with Alexa, Google Nest kit, or Apple Homekit.
Fingerprint Biometric Technology
There are some reliable models with biometric or fingerprint technology. It makes the unlock breeze without compromise on safety. Opt for a model with fingerprint technology.
Remote Locking (WiFi /Bluetooth)
The smart lock communicates with your smartphone via Bluetooth or Wifi. The wifi enables your smart lock with a true remote locking feature. A Bluetooth enabled smart lock supports remote locking/unlocking in the house wherever you get the Bluetooth range.
A Bluetooth enabled smart lock is cheaper than a Wifi enabled lock. A wifi smart lock with handle requires a wifi hub which increases the overall cost of the lock. We recommend a wifi lock, it is worth the price as it is more secure and you can control your lock from anywhere.
A Wifi smart lock work on a protocol so that it can talk to other devices. We recommend buying a Z-Wave Plus or ZigBee enabled smart lock. These protocols open up the whole new world of connectivity.
All the major security smart product brands use one of these protocols in their products. These include smart door cameras, doorbells, and alarms.