Disclosure – We rely on reader support to run SmartHomeNook.com. If you purchase products using our links, we may earn a commission. Click here to read about our process.
There are limited smart locks that are compatible with a Ring alarm and a video doorbell. If you already own a Ring product and planning to install a smart lock. Opt for a one that works with the Ring alarm would be an obvious choice.
The integration with a Ring alarm comes at no extra cost. All you need is a compatible smart lock.
The ring is an industry leader for its smart alarm and smart doorbell. When you decide to move into the world of smart home technology, ensure that your existing and future devices can communicate with one another.
You can use the security features of the Ring by connecting your smart lock with Ring. You can also lock/unlock it through the Ring app.
The smart lock and Ring alarm/doorbell are made compatible via a physical hub that supports Z-Wave technology. If you already own a hub or your Ring base station, you don’t need to buy another one.
Ring alarm supports around 35 smart locks and it can be quite confusing to choose the best smart lock. After reviewing the smart locks from all the leading brands, we have shortlisted the safest smart door locks that work with Ring.
Let us go through each of them and share our findings on why they are on our recommendation list.
Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt with Camelot Trim
- This bundle includes Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Schlage Encode Smart WiFi...
- Easily setup Ring Video Doorbell 2 and Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt...
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 monitors your home in 1080HD video with night vision...
- Never worry about lost, misplaced, or duplicate keys. Lock & unlock your...
The Encode is the latest smart lock from Schlage and is a Ring-certified smart lock. Available in two colors including matte black. This is our top pick for a smart lock that works with Ring.
Along with Ring Video Doorbell and security camera, it is one of the most secure smart locks that provide seamless integration.
- It is a WiFi smart lock that does not require an additional smart home hub.
- It does not support Z-Wave protocol but it works well with Ring through Keys by Amazon.
- The Ring compatibility provides the ability to lock and unlock the door with a live view from the Ring app. The Encode smart lock is also compatible with Alexa, SmartThings, Wink, Amazon Key, etc.
- The Ring video provides video in 1080p HD picture quality.
- Get real-time notifications.
- Use Alexa for voice commands to open/close the door.
- Alexa notifies when it is running low battery levels.
- In-home deliveries are enabled by Amazon Key.
- 100 Access codes
- Easy installation and quick setup with Ring via Keys app.
- It has an in-built alarm.
Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt with Z-Wave Plus (BE469ZP)
- Pair with a Z Wave smart home or security system like Samsung SmartThings...
- Hands free voice control requires Z Wave smart home system and compatible...
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver; Unique Snap ‘n Stay technology...
- Use the finger print resistant touchscreen to share up to 30 access codes...
The newer Schlage Connect model is an upgrade to the existing connect model. The major difference is the upgrade from Z-Wave to Z-Wave Plus technology in the new model.
The connect is a Ring Certified z-wave smart lock that works with Ring Alarm. It has stiff competition with Schlage’s own Encode model. The key difference is the usage of the hub to connect to other smart home devices in Schlage Connect.
- Easy to install. All you need is a screwdriver. Snap ‘n Stay technology makes it easy to install with both hands and is free to use for installation.
- Built-in alarm that triggers when there is a forced entry attempt.
- Easy integration with Ring. Scan the QR code at the back of the lock to pair the Ring Alarm.
- Use Ring skill on Alexa to operate the door lock through voice commands.
- Automatically arm the Ring alarm when you lock the door and disarm it when you unlock it.
- Locking and unlocking the door works from the Ring app on your smartphone.
- 30 Access codes for accessibility.
- It also supports Google Assistant, SmartThings, Wink, and Nexia.
Kwikset SmartCode 910 Smart Deadbolt with Z-Wave Plus
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold...
- Does not work via ZigBee or key, and is incompatible with Affinity ; Latch...
- Lock or unlock your door from anywhere with a supporting Z-Wave smart home...
- Program up to 30 custom user access codes for family, friends, or dog...
The latest Z-Wave supported smart deadbolt by Kwikset is a great option for a smart lock with good compatibility with Ring. It is one of the cheapest options around worth every dollar spent. It comes with a price tag of around $100 which is almost half the price of other smart locks.
- It supports the Z-Wave Plus technology.
- Quick access to lock status on Ring Alarm dashboard of Ring app.
- You can create access codes using your mobile phone through the app.
- Use Alexa for locking and unlocking the door.
- Arm/disarm the Ring Alarm by linking it with the Ring Alarm.
- Single cylinder deadbolt comes with 30 access codes.
- Kwikset SmartKey feature for the backup keyway.
- Quick install but few customers can find it a little noisy in operation.
Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus
- Unlock your door without keys by entering your code on the lock's backlit...
- Lock and unlock your door from anywhere by adding the lock to a compatible...
- Replaces your existing knob or lever in minutes on standard doors, 1-3/8"...
- Works with Alexa via a compatible hub. *Features may vary based on Z-Wave...
Yale Assure Series is one of the successful smart locks with consistent sales. Yale Assure series have a few smart locks that work with Ring. It is one of them that uses Z-Wave technology.
We have selected the latest and one of the best smart locks with a handle/lever that works with a Ring. This is for customers exclusively looking for a smart lock with a handle instead of a deadbolt.
Here are some standout features of the lock
- 100% keyless entry.
- It has a built-in 9V battery for backup.
- Alexa compatible lock with a Z-Wave plus supportive hub like Yale smart module or Ring Base Station.
- It can be easily replaced by an existing lever or knob with a single hole.
- A good option for garage entry, side door, basement, or home office.
- It comes with a touchscreen keypad ( keypad option available with a different model number).
- Voice guidance for programming the smart lock.
- Auto unlock feature.
- Ring compatible and certified.
- Shareable Access codes for providing access to visitors.
- Lock/unlock feature available through Ring app with arm/disarm the alarm.
Buying Tips to ensure Ring Compatibility
There are a few additional things to keep in mind when you are looking for compatibility with Ring products. Let us quickly look at them one by one.
The ease of installation can be the last thing on your mind but if compatibility with the existing door size is an issue then you may end up paying more for installation. It will increase the overall cost of ownership.
Although most doors have standard dimensions and compatibility is rarely an issue. But it is always better to check the manual before making a final decision.
The ease of locking and unlocking varies on the locking method. The most common methods of lock are fingerprint lock, wi-fi lock, Bluetooth lock, and digital keypad.
Each has its disadvantages and advantages.
Fingerprint Lock: It is one of the most secure and trusted methods. Most locks will accompany a secondary mode to open and lock through a phone app but using fingerprints can be tricky for kids and elderly people.
Bluetooth Lock: This mechanism uses Bluetooth technology. It is one of the most convenient methods to use and install. But this ease comes at the cost of vulnerability.
It may not be easy but there is a chance that a hacker can hack the smart lock.
A lock with a keypad is common these days and is preferred by many people. It may have a regular physical keypad or a backlit digital keypad with a touch screen.
The touchscreen retains the simplicity of a physical keypad but comes with added security like numbers on the keypad change making it difficult for someone peeping.
All smart home devices come with a security rating. With level 1 being the safest, investing in better-rated smart devices is recommended.
Smart Home technology:
Different hubs following different smart home protocols like Zwave and Zigbee can make it difficult to pick one unless you opt for “Matter” which is compatible with most. “Matter” will be launched by the fall of 2022 and more brands are keen to be on board with it.
At the end of the pick one that provides consistent and strong connectivity.
How do Smart Lock and Ring work with Alexa?
Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Now open your Alexa app and go to Skills and Games (under three horizontal bars).
- Search for “Ring” and press the “Enable” button.
- Link your Ring account with Alexa by signing into the Ring account.
- Now tap “discover devices” or Ask Alex – “Alexa, discover my devices”.
- You will see your Ring product connected to Alexa.
- Press “Forget” if you want to remove the integration.
Now your smart lock is connected through Ring Alarm and ready to take voice commands.
Make sure you buy a smart lock compatible with Ring and support Alexa. Check our recommendation list for the same.